Home Fire News Investigators say home fire might be related to a pit bull attacking,...

Investigators say home fire might be related to a pit bull attacking, killing a child


Elizabeth Regan and Greg Smith

The Day, New London, Conn.

One person was injured and multiple people were displaced by an early morning fire at a two-family home at 10 Rosemary St. that officials say may be linked to a dog attack in Norwich Monday night.

New London Police issued a news release late Tuesday morning identifying Timothy Settles, 32, as a “person of interest to be questioned with respect to an arson investigation.”

Settles was arrested by Norwich police last September with an address listed as 36 McKinley Ave., #2 and charged with disorderly conduct, third-degree assault and interfering with police.

Norwich police are investigating the death Monday of a month-old child at an apartment at 36 McKinley Ave. in Norwich. The child was pronounced dead at the scene, the victim of an attack by a pit bull or pit bull mix. That incident occurred at about 8:40 p.m. Monday.

New London police described Settles as a black man, about 6 feet tall, weighing 240 pounds and unshaven. He may be driving a white BMW with New York registration plates, police said.

Anyone with information regarding Settles’ whereabouts is asked to contact New London police at (860) 447-5269, Ext. 0.

The New London fire marshal was joined at the scene of the New London fire Tuesday morning by New London police officers and investigators with the state fire marshal’s office. A dog trained to detect accelerants, such as gasoline, also was called in to aid the investigation.

New London firefighters responded to the home at 10 Rosemary St. at about 4 a.m. and arrived to find fire on the first floor that had extended into the walls, the second floor and to an enclosed porch on the first floor. Fire Chief Thomas Curcio said a second alarm was called to bring in mutual aid from Groton, Waterford and the Naval Submarine Base Fire Department.

One woman was taken to the hospital for evaluation and later released. The Red Cross was called to assist with the emergency needs of four occupants of the home.

After the fire was brought under control, the home was cordoned off with crime scene tape. The two-story stucco home appears to have suffered significant damage with multiple broken windows and charring visible on the siding around the first floor windows.

Investigators could be seen walking in and out of the home throughout the morning.


(c)2021 The Day (New London, Conn.)

Visit The Day (New London, Conn.) at www.theday.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here