Home Fire News Firefighters who were shocked mostly likely to be released from hospital today

Firefighters who were shocked mostly likely to be released from hospital today

SHARE

 

Feb. 20–Four firefighters who were shocked while fighting a house fire Sunday afternoon in York County are expected to be released from the hospital Monday, said the fire chief.

“They were kept for observation,” said Frosty Wertz, chief of Strinestown Fire Company. “The last I heard they should all be released today.”

Two were from York Area United Regional Fire Company and two were from Newberry Fire Department, he said.

The firefighters were on metal ladders, Wertz said. He believes the shock — which he described as a “tingling” — occurred after a power line to the house was compromised in the fire. It made contact with the rain spouting and energized it, sending current to the metal ladder that was resting against the spouting.

“They had been up and down the ladders several times,” Wertz said. At some point, the wire arced and energized the spouting and ladder.

Wertz said the fire marshal is still investigating the cause of the fire in the in the 800 block of Buck Road, and said the house is believed to be a total loss.

No other injuries resulted in the 2:30 p.m. fire, and the four residents were able to exit safely.

___

(c)2017 The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, Pa.)

Visit The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, Pa.) at www.pennlive.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here