A volunteer firefighter from Limestone, Maine, suffered 2nd and 3rd-degree burns to his face following a propane tank explosion.
Limestone police Chief Stacey Mahan posted the dramatic video of the explosion, which was captured on his body camera, Sunday on Facebook.
Firefighters responded to the call Thursday afternoon after a fire broke out in a wooded area near the propane tanks.
The Bangor Daily News reports firefighter Scott Patten was trying to contain the blaze when one of the tanks exploded, sending flames shooting toward him.
The blast also sent Mahan and another firefighter standing next to a nearby fire truck to the ground.
The Bangor Daily News reports Patten walked away from the blast but was taken to Cary Medical Center in Caribou.
He was released the next day, after being treated for first- and second-degree burns to his face, according to the fire department.
The police chief write on Facebook this case is a prime example of the risks faced by firefighters every day.
“Those who choose to be a firefighter whether full time or as a volunteer know the hazards of the job,” Mahan writes. “I commend those that want to, ‘put the wet stuff on the red stuff’ and lay their lives on the line each and every time they head out. This incident is a prime example of how things can change in an instant.”
© 2017 Bright Mountain Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
The content of this webpage may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of Bright Mountain Media, Inc. which may be contacted at email@example.com, ticker BMTM.