May 30–Natural gas is suspected to have fueled a fire that gutted the Bakerton Rod and Gun Club early Monday.
Two people, including one firefighter, were treated for minor injuries and released from Miners Medical Center, Carrolltown fire Chief Robert Illig said.
“There was apparently some kind of natural gas leak in the kitchen and when someone walked in the door, it sparked,” Illig said.
A club member went into the building around 7 a.m. to prepare the Deveaux Street club for a veterans’ breakfast event that was scheduled to be held later that day, he said.
Instead, the club was quickly in flames.
“We could see the fire four miles away in Carrolltown,” Illig said.
The club’s fishing pond was used by firefighters as a water source but the building itself was fully involved when crews arrived, he said.
Firefighters from Carrolltown, Hope and Spangler were able to contain the fire but the building itself was ravaged by flames, destroying the club’s kitchen, wooden bar and social room, Illig said.
The source of the natural gas leak was not known Monday.
A state police fire marshal was notified and it was expected the investigation would continue into Tuesday, Illig said.
By David Hurst, The Tribune-Democrat, Johnstown, Pa.
(c)2017 The Tribune-Democrat (Johnstown, Pa.)
Visit The Tribune-Democrat (Johnstown, Pa.) at www.tribune-democrat.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.