A faulty electrical cord caused a fire that scorched two National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration piers following a Fourth of July celebration, investigators said Friday. The cord, which ran from a dock to a ship, shorted early Wednesday morning, the Seattle Fire Department said. The fire was reported more than two hours after the end of a fireworks show over Lake Union.
The piers are expected to be unusable for as long as two years. The fire also damaged two 224-foot NOAA ships, two smaller boats, a navigation operations trailer and a steam plant.