Mark Price and Amanda Zhou
The Charlotte Observer
A 9-year-old boy and a 62-year-old woman died after being pulled from a house fire in east Charlotte early Monday, authorities said.
The Charlotte Fire Department said Monday afternoon that investigators have determined the fire at a home in the 7900 block of Latchington Court was an accident, and it involved a “stone based cooking device” on the screen-enclosed back porch.
The boy, Boe Reh, would have turned 10 on Friday. The woman was named Saw Mo, Charlotte Fire said Monday afternoon. According to a GoFundMe site to raise money for their funeral service, Saw Mo is the boy’s grandmother.
They died shortly before 7 a.m., officials said in a tweet.
“It’s always tragic when there’s a loss of life regardless of the cause,” fire Capt. Dennis Gist told reporters at the scene. “To lose two at one time, it’s devastating.”
Six other people were evaluated at the scene for injuries, Medic said in a tweet. The conditions of the six have not yet been released.
Firefighters found the two while responding to a fire at the single-story house, according to fire officials. The neighborhood is just south of Albemarle Road, in the Becton Court area of east Charlotte.
CPR was performed on the two people, and Medic pronounced them dead at the scene.
Fire officials tweeted a photo from the scene about 6:45 a.m., showing flames billowing several feet into the air from the home’s garage. CFD estimates the fire caused around $10,000 in damages.
(c)2021 The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.)
Visit The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.) at www.charlotteobserver.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.